|My contribution to dinner: apple, pumpkin, and mincemeat.|
* 3 quarts chopped green tomatoes
* 1 1/2 quarts peeled, chopped tart apples
* 2 cups raisins
* 1 cup golden raisins
* 1/2 cup diced candied citron, lemon or orange peel
* 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
* 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
* 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
* 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
* 1 1/2 to 2 teaspoons salt
* 3 cups brown sugar, firmly packed
* 3/4 cup Vinegar
* 1/4 cup lemon juice
Combine all ingredients in a large heavy pan. Let mixture simmer and cook slowly until it is tender and thick, for two hours or more. Stir frequently to prevent sticking. To can, pour boiling mixture into hot, sterile jars, leaving 1/2-inch headspace; seal promptly. Process in a boiling water bath for 20 minutes. Store in a cool dry place.
Makes about 5 to 6 quarts of green tomato mincemeat.
Finally had a chance to go deer hunting, but came home empty handed. While I still see quite a few deer around, the numbers are down due to a nasty virus that has killed quite a few animals. I sat in the blind for quite a while, watching low, blue-gray clouds playing tag with watery beams of sunshine and listening to turkeys calling off in the distance.
|Had a clean shot but didn't take it|
From the hymnal:
"Give thanks, with a grateful heart,
Give thanks, to the Holy One,
Give thanks, because He's given Jesus Christ"