"Commentary from the Countryside"
Thoughts on current events,
history, homesteading, preparedness, real food, and anything else I find interesting, from a cranky, middle-aged woman's common-sense perspective.

Thursday, February 23, 2012

Just Wondering

Now THAT would be a bad snow day

I was watching the weather forecast tonight, and they've put much of Michigan under a "winter storm watch".  However the forecast is calling for only 2 to 6 inches of snow between now and Saturday.  Now I know just a little snow can make roads slippery, but I'm thinking that anyone who lives in Michigan for very long is aware it can snow in February and that just 2 to 6 inches isn't really worthy of the winter storm label.

Please don't think I'm dismissing all weather incidents, as I know we are small and helpless against a giant flood, a true blizzard, or a drought-driven wildfire.  But I believe we should each do what we can to wisely prepare for problems, without government propaganda or interference.  It's only smart to have some drinking water stored in case the power goes out, disabling the well pump.  It's a good idea to have non-perishable food in the pantry in case an ice storm disrupts the grocery store deliveries, or firewood ready to keep warm during a blizzard.  To me, being as ready as possible should simply be a way of life.

During the entire newscast they had words scrolling across the bottom of the screen, urging "preparedness precautions".  I'd never seen the local broadcasters use terms like that before, have you?  It almost seems that the reactionary FEMA problems after Katrina have filtered through the government and media to the point of hysteria.  Now most any little bit of weather is portrayed as cause for alarm and lectures from the government filtered through local broadcasters:  stay home, don't use the roads, make sure you have radios to hear further government suggestions, and so on.  Am I a conspiracy theorist?  Not deliberately, but I do notice patterns that make me wonder.  The Feds rather enjoyed taking over New Orleans, and relieving law-abiding citizens of their firearms.  Is it such a stretch to think they may begin using hyped-up warnings or a manufactured crisis as a way to browbeat people into helplessness?  Into mindless compliance with authority?  I don't know, but I think it may be something that bears watching.

In the end, there's nothing we can do but be sensible and use our resources wisely, and remember there's only One who is truly in control.

The fear of the LORD is the beginning of wisdom; all who follow his precepts have good understanding. To him belongs eternal praise.  Psalm 111:10

Take care, my friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment