I leave my Christmas lights in my big spruce tree in my front yard all year long. (Yes, I'm a Yankee Redneck Woman!) But the tree is a good twenty-five feet tall, the lights are small, and can't be seen when not lit. The tree has grown so tall that I can no longer reach the strands of lights in the uppermost branches. So I simply leave them, and plug them in each Christmas. This has worked well for years, but when I plugged the lights in a few weeks ago, none of them would light. So, I spent the time and money and effort, running up and down the ladder, to put new lights in the tree, as high as I could possibly reach. All was well until the high winds and heavy snows today; now only one strand is lit.
Today I wanted to bake Christmas cookies and went into the pantry only to discover that the mice got into the bags of dehydrated foods I put up earlier. I hadn't been able to find any more two quart jars locally, and had intended to get to the city for some but hadn't made the trip because I have a tire with a slow leak that won't get that far but I haven't gotten it fixed yet. So now instead of baking cookies I get to empty and scrub my pantry and all of the contents. I hate mice!! Not sure yet how much food I've lost. I had bought caulking and some extra mouse traps, but never found time to go around and seal whatever gaps I could find.
And so it goes.....certainly minor annoyances, compared to what others are suffering, but tiresome nonetheless. Tuesday's event, though, was the most interesting. I have my old pick up parked out front for sale, and wanted to start it up and run it for a while to keep it tuned. The plug wires had gotten wet, so it didn't want to start right away. A few more cranks of the starter, and and little pump of the accelerator, and.... BAM!!!! Well I hopped out of that truck a heck of a lot faster than I had climbed in it, heart pounding, eyes wide, knees shaking. I ran over to the front porch where Brother was standing, curled up on the steps and huddled down in my jacket. For a moment I was the scared little girl that wanted to climb up in Daddy's arms. Brother was no help, he was laughing so hard, though his eyes were a bit wide too. He said he was able to actually see the shockwave from the blast. At first I thought it was a rod blowing through the engine block, which would have ruined any resale value in the truck. On second look, though, we saw what had really happened - the muffler had exploded. And this isn't the little pansy muffler you see on a lot of vehicles; on these older Chevy trucks it's the size of a beer keg. The sheet metal of the muffler ripped open with enormous force, slamming into the ground hard enough to make the truck crowhop. I've never experienced anything quite like that and I don't wish to again.
Today winter arrived with a vengeance, wind and snow and icy roads and closed schools. I stayed inside. The local FFA had their annual fruit sale a few weeks ago, so I had a bushel of citrus fruits to get canned. I'd never done citrus before, and after laboriously hand-peeling the first couple of grapefruit, I decided it was a lot easier to use a knife and quarter them, then cut the fruit away from the peel. Ten minutes in a hot water bath, and the jars are ready for the shelves. That is, as soon as I fumigate the pantry. Anyways, I think they look wonderful in the jars.
I wish each of you joy and peace as we celebrate the birth of Our Savior. Merry Christmas!