"Commentary from the Countryside"
Thoughts on current events,
history, homesteading, preparedness, real food, and anything else I find interesting, from a cranky, middle-aged woman's common-sense perspective.

Thursday, January 12, 2012

Winter is Back

A dismal, cold rain finally gave way to snow this afternoon.  I'd rather have the snow; that rain is just miserable the way the bone-chilling damp penetrates anything but a stout Carhartt jacket.  The weather guys are jumping up and down with warnings and advisories, but I think that's more for ratings than an actual huge weather event.  We are the Great Lake State, and it is January, nobody should be surprised by lake effect snow!  I have the truck hitched up to the trailer and plan a trip to the scrapyard tomorrow but I'll have to see what it's like in the morning.  No point in setting myself up for trouble with a creaky old truck in poor road conditions.  Funny how I figured that out for myself before I heard from the weather guys.

Made a stop at one of my favorite places today - the bulk food store.  Butter at 2.39/lb, cheese at 3.00/lb, cane sugar at 31.50/50 lbs...it's a great stock up sort of place.  It's amazing how much sugar I go through with baking and canning, so I like to keep 100 lbs. or so in the pantry.  It's easy to store in food grade buckets with tight fitting lids and it doesn't go bad.  I write the contents and date stored on the label, and keep the buckets rotated to use the oldest first.

The rain kept me inside today, and what could I do but fire up the mixer?  I've been playing around with an oatmeal muffin recipe that sort of morphed into a cookie recipe.  These aren't typical after dinner sweets, they're more of a take along for nourishment sort of thing.  Great for that mid-morning pick me up to get through to lunch, energy on a kayak trip, or to stay out in the deer blind without going hungry.  They even make a satisfying breakfast with a cold glass of milk.

Almost Everything Cookies

Cream together:
1 cup butter
1 1/2 cups brown sugar
2 eggs
2 tbsp honey
1 1/2 cups applesauce
1 cup peanut butter
2 tsp vanilla


Stir in:
1/2 cup wheat germ
1/2 cup flaxseed meal
2 cups flour
2 cups quick oats
1/2 tsp cinnamon
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup sunflower kernels


Mix thoroughly and add 1 cup chocolate chips and 1 cup chopped dried fruit.  Drop by well rounded tablespoons full on cookie sheet and bake at 350 degrees for 12 minutes.  Yields approximately 4 dozen.

Feel free to add/subtract as you wish; this recipe seems to be pretty adaptable.  I've used store-bought dried cranberries, home dried apples, peaches, and blueberries with equal success.  I use the cranberries right out of the package, but partially re-hydrate the home dried fruits before using.  I've used regular chocolate chips, mini chips, and leftover Christmas M&Ms too.  Enjoy!

Grab a handful on your way by!

No comments:

Post a Comment