"Commentary from the Countryside"
Thoughts on current events,
history, homesteading, preparedness, real food, and anything else I find interesting, from a cranky, middle-aged woman's common-sense perspective.

Sunday, November 20, 2011

Bibles and Apples

Do you ever cry at church?  Sometimes I get choked up, when a certain hymn we're singing just hits a chord with me and I'm overwhelmed.  But today it was something different.  During a recent Bible class I had mentioned that someday I would like to buy a copy of the new Lutheran study Bible, since the margin notes had so much good information.  At church today there was a gift bag sitting by the mailboxes with my name on it, and one of the new Bibles in it.  No 'from' tag.  Someone of my church family cared so much that they took the time and trouble to give me such a gift!  Wow.  I sort of just sat there holding it with tears in my eyes for the longest time.  Like Jesus says in Matthew 6, "so that your giving may be in secret. Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you."  May God the Father richly bless my benefactor.

Yesterday was a busy day with chores, and some time spent deer hunting.  No venison yet; hopefully I'll be able to fill my tag before the season is over.  Finished gathering all the apples from my old apple tree, I think all told this one old tree produced three bushels this year. This last batch will be dried, and some canned up as applesauce.  Time to set and peel them all while watching football!

Here's an old family favorite:

Cottage Pudding


1 1/2 cups flour                                   1 egg
2 teaspoons baking powder                 1/2 cup milk
1/2 teaspoon salt                                  1/2 cup melted butter
1/2 cup sugar


Sift together dry ingredients.  Mix in remaining ingredients, pour batter into shallow pan, 8x8 inches.  Stick fresh apple slices into the top of the batter, about 1/4 inch apart.  Bake at 400 degrees for 20 to 25 minutes.


I'll share recipes, canning and baking ideas, and homestead projects as I go along on this blog.  Though there's certainly a lot of bloggers out there much more experienced than me, and plenty of knowledgeable folks I've met through websites that have been doing the homestead lifestyle since birth who could give better advice.  So I'm not looking at this blog as as place for me to pontificate about the "right" way to do things, but rather a way to share experiences with others who are bumbling and stumbling toward the goals of simple living and self-sufficiency.  Please join me on the journey!

No comments:

Post a Comment