"Commentary from the Countryside"
Thoughts on current events,
history, homesteading, preparedness, real food, and anything else I find interesting, from a cranky, middle-aged woman's common-sense perspective.

Sunday, November 27, 2011

Unplugged

Tweeting, facebooking, updating, texting, messaging - it seems folks are just constantly "plugged in" anymore.  Radio, tv, internet - it's a constant bombardment of information, much of it of questionable worth.  I'll admit to a little more internet time than may be healthy, but I'm reading up on recipes, checking prices on the Kitchen Aid stand mixer I'd like to have, and reading homesteading forums.  I rarely watch the news, turn the radio on, or check anyone's status, so I guess I'd be labeled "unplugged".  Even my Dad, who is certainly not of the tech generation, is way ahead of me when it comes to the news.

So I was quite dismayed when I ran across a forum post where the writer cited an article detailing what happened last week, listing assault, shooting, trampling, and rioting.  Did this happen at an emotionally charged political rally, over high-priority issues?  No, most of it happened at WalMart, over video games. 

Video games!!!  Talk about unplugged! Are we disconnected from wisdom, discernment, and self-control?  Divorced from reason? How did owning a game become more important than caring about the person standing next to you?  I think it's time for a priority check, to assess what's really important. What is this season about, anyways?

Today is the first Sunday of Advent, a season of joy, hope, and thanksgiving, celebrating the birth of our Savior two thousand years ago, and anticipating His glorious return.  Traditionally it's also a time to connect and share with family and friends.  Think about it.  Maybe it's time to plug in to what's important.

2 comments:

  1. I'm enjoying your blog! I'm glad to see you putting your writing talents on display to the public - it's about time...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your encouragement, my friend!

    ReplyDelete